Thursday, August 26, 2010

The End Has Begun

8/2/10

This morning was bright and we all woke up with a lot of energy. I sat and talked with Angel and Hannah and enjoyed a cup of coffee on our favorite side of the mountain. We got to have pancakes again today and they were delectable. Closiane even made more than before so we got to have a bigger half this time. The next thing on our schedule was pow-wow about the day and the plan for getting ready to leave. VBS would be shorter than on Saturday, but much of the same lay out and movement. I was in music, but this time it was during the lesson time. Joe and Ivener helped me out again. It was very chaotic this time though, because older kids from Gremoth came halfway through the day just to cause trouble. They misbehaved, didn’t stay with their leader, stole from younger kids, wandered to whatever station they found most interesting, and just caused trouble. We talked to Kesnel about it and he sent a lot of them home, but it was hard to deal with all the same. We gave the kids silly bands and blow up balls this time and they were a major hit. Things went well overall and of course the kids had fun. We fed them peanut butter sandwiches before sending them off to their homes and even had leftovers this time. After VBS was completely over we had a lunch of ramen noodles and whatever else we could find to make like a ramen stew, courtesy of Austin. While we ate the guys (Joe, Ivener, Josie, Jeto, and Naime) serenaded me with my guitar. They sang mostly in Creole, but played the English song that I taught them as well. I played euchre with Olivia, Jacob, and Levi for a while. The men broke camp and all our stuff was packed and made ready for the departure tomorrow. We kept only our carry on stuff as well as anything needed overnight in the church for this evening, but everything else we had sent down to Kesnel’s house. The evening after that was totally chill. I played music/talked/hung out with just about everyone. Some people went on a hike further up the mountain, but I stuck around to relax and do my mountainside devotions. I ended up playing a crude version of bench top volleyball with a few crazy Haitians. It was a really good evening. Dinner came quickly and we had our debrief for the week as well as our talk of timing for tomorrow. It’s so weird that this is the end. There were times in the week that I wanted to go home, but I don’t want to leave at all. I want to stay for another month. These people have part of my heart, and they will forever. Last night was such a high and an encouragement and made me love the people and this place so much more. But I know tomorrow will come, and I’ll have to go home. I hope to come back someday, but who knows what God will do. He’s worked in me so much this week. All I can think about is leaving and I don’t like it at all. I feel excited and happy after such a week as this, but now as it’s the last night I’ll be in Haiti I can feel the sadness creeping in. I’ve spent a whole week with faces and hearts, and I can’t imagine leaving them. God has so blessed us with this opportunity. My dad pointed out last night that because of the way God works, if we didn’t come, someone else would have because these people would have been told somehow. But in his awesome love and grace and goodness, he chose us to be the ones to come and experience the blessing of this week and these people. And I will never know why, but I thank him daily for the amazing gift. I know every second has molded me in some way for the future and I’m way too excited. I can’t wait to serve him more! God is so good. Goodnight for the last time on Grenier Mountain, Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment